We're all excited when that vacation rolls around. It may be a yearly thing, a bi-yearly, or something that doesn't happen nearly as frequent as we'd like, but when it does, there is always some level of excitment. That chance to get away from the daily grind of the realities that are our lives whether good or bad is always accepted with open arms. . . at least by this excited traveler they are!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

6/22/12

So here I sit, Friday Fest night, hubby and son are at the Fest grounds. I'm enjoying the peace and calm of the house, not so much that it's a crazy whirlwind when they are here, it's just that theres something about spending time by yourself knowing it's only you and it's going to be only you for the next few days.

Slowly I am stacking the pile of "Gotta Go's" higher and higher. There's gifts, and requests, and purchases for those that I am going to see. There are the little things that you want and need within reach in the car. . .cooler, pillow, book, iPod, iPad, etc. There are the things that are always in there that we need to make sure are restocked, like kleenex, wet wipes, gum and mints.

For me, tomorrow is my pamper day before we leave, I love doing that before a trip, especially a major trip. I always have done it and I probably always will...don't most people? Manicure, pedicure, that sort of thing. AND, the best thing about tomorrow is that it is Saturday and we are that much closer to leaving on this much anticiapted trip.

It's been a long couple of years. We went no where in particular last year due to not wanting to venture too far off from Mike's ailing mother. He would visit her 5 days out the week which made for a longer day then what I knew he really wanted. But he was a good son that did his best to be there for her when things began to change for her. It's a LONG day when you get up at 3:30a, top that off with a host of "To-Do's" and it makes for a very exhausting year.
His mother's death was crushing, and although we knew it was coming, it didn't make it any easier on him. She is all he's had since he was 15 when he lost his father to a heart attack. THIS vacation is needed for more than one reason that's for certain!

So as the days draw closer, the anticipation becomes stronger and the only thing to settle that will be to get out on the road. Sunday night is going to be LONG and sleepless I bet, but that's another story!








No comments:

Post a Comment