WOW, WOW, WOW! What a remarkably surreal piece of earth.
Like another planet, the moon maybe, or something out of the very depths of the biggest sea. Like being an ant and they are your ant hill creations, or sand castles of crumbling chunks of sand, but only. . . they are not as crumbly as they first appear, they are quite hard to the touch, with minimal crumbling, or at least the areas I was able to touch.
The sun was hot and the air dry, the
ground cracked from lack of water, however, somehow, it was still able, still viable enough to produce vegetation. The layers all different colors for a variety of reasons. The roads that cut through this vast beauty are done remarkably well, allowing the traveler a chance to be on top of it all as well as the very bottom, the basin...the floor if you will, of the Badlands.The only disappointing factor of this visit is that they were doing some road work...some much needed road work as the road appeared to be eroding away, it makes the drive a little longer, and...a little bit teeth clenching as it felt as though at times there was not enough room to pass by without going over an edge. As we were nearing the end of our drive, we saw that there were cabins in an area that could be rented. What a fantastic experience would that be, to see the sunset, sleep in, and watch the sun rise in the middle of the Badlands! I think this is a trip I must take at some point in my life (Bucket List...and I really don't even have one, but it may be time.)From there we ventured to "Cone Head Land" again to play the crazy tourist at the very well known WALL DRUG! We got our FREE Ice Water and bumbled around through the several shops before we found the Piece de resistance, the roaring dinosaur! CRAZY! And a bit intimidating when you let your mind imagine the realities of what was so many millions of years ago. Mike recorded it but somehow lost it, too bad, it's rather comical. Wall City is a LOVELY little town of less than a 1000 residents and we look forward to getting out there to see what this little tourist (aka;cone head)community has going on! Before that however, we will meet up with a dear dear friend and his family. I knew him in middle school, his brother and I were great friends and through the wonders of Facebook and the net, he and mike became friends, so much so that it feels for the both of them that they have known one another for years! What a beautiful thing when you have such a instant connection with someone. I look SO forward to meeting his wife in person,(we are Facebook friends), and the rest of his beautiful family, especially his little daughter Brooklyn who brings a smile to my face with her antics that her momma and daddy record and post on FB. I've yet to meet her but I already adore her!And now, it's time for the much needed rest I will no doubt use up tomorrow!








Wow, that's amazing! Hope you don't mind the follow - love to read other bloggers, especially travelers! Have a great adventure!
ReplyDelete