This morning we got up and headed straight to the great stone faced men on the top of the mountain. I've seen it before but Mike has not, it's still spectacular seeing it again and I would imagine it would be that way no matter how many times you've seen it. For me however, even more spectacular when seeing it through another's eyes!
It's changed quite a bit since "77" when I saw it the first time. LOTS more parking and I don't remember the outdoor theater being there (it may have but I don't remember it.)
Walking out of the museum area we were stopped by a group of international tourists as they were trying to take small group shots of each other. I love finding and doing good deeds so I asked if they would like to get one with all of them, which of course they did. Three pics with three different cameras later they kindly offered the same back to us.
I love connecting with people like that, that simple and small moment in time where two souls meet on common ground, coming together in a sort of momentary friendship, for you never know, you may one day meet again in the life after this one.
When we walked passed the gift shop, I notice a sign that the last surviving sculptor is in the book store!
I grab up his book and walk over to say hello, he is a kind and gentle soul, answering all my questions, like, we're you scared? Did the height bother you? (again, me and the heights issue)
He said he never was afraid because as a boy he and his friends use to "play in those hills" but that there were several men that went up once and said they quit, and then there were other men that went over the face and you never saw them again! Many died.
He signed my book, graciously took a picture with Mike and I and we were on our way again. Two souls, connecting for a small moment in time at least one soul will forever carry the memory with her of meeting someone that played an integral part in history.
After Mt. Rushmore, or Mushmore as Dan and Nicoled little 3 year old would say, we make the 40 minute journey into the backwoods of the Black Hills where Dan and his family were staying in a cabin.
Winding curving roads through thick forests of pine, many of which are brown from the destruction of the pine beetle. Some burnt as if once in a fire. The pavement ends and we drive further into this wonderland, dirt flying and the road bumping along past a creek for much of the way. We drive for what seems too long, we come to a crossroad with the same name as the one we're on only one says south, causing us momentary confusion but we stay on the road we were on. We pass "Bloody Gulch" and I say to Mike how glad I am that it wasn't on our route! I certainly didn't care to find out if its name was given for any particular reason.
Onward deeper and further back into the woods we finally come to what resembles some sort of civilization....from 1909 that is! WOW! You had to actually be there for that one! And just as soon ad we happen upon it, it's lost to us again as we find ourselves back into the thick of the woods.
At last, there is the cabin and there is Dan, on the deck, happily grilling lunch for the crew of 14.
We sat with this fantastic family for hours and I do not say that lightly, they are a wonderful and loving group of people, and Dan, Nicole and their children are awesome! I instantly fell in love with each and everyone of them! I felt quite the connection with one of their twins, Madison, a beautiful (and might I just add, they all are!)
young lady who was easy to carry a conversation with.
Too soon it was time to say our goodbyes, the friendship between Mike and Dan, and Nicole and I was evident, one in which you wish you lived closer in order to have the chance to enjoy it more often. However. We will, Mike and I have never been to Texas but I have an aunt there that I want desperately to meet so we know the day will come.
On our way back into Hill City we decide to squeeze in one more Winery, the Red Ass Winery and of course, one case later we were walking out box in hand!
Now tired from another busy day, Mike and I get dinner and head back to the motel to pack up. So far this has been a wonderful time and I thank Dan Carr for suggesting we all meet in South Dakota.
Next stop, WYOMING!















No comments:
Post a Comment