HILL CITY isn't too far from the Wyoming border. The sign was there before we knew it!
Stopped at gas/convenience store in New Castle to grab drinks and restroom break. My mother always told me, never sit on the seat of a public toilet and I've always followed that rule.
So what's a girl to do when she's in need? She squats! Hovering over the stool, naked butt and all, trying to hit her target.
The restroom door was pretty light weight, the lock, just above the handle was a turn style. (You know what I'm getting at don't you?) without warning, some chick crashes in! Yep! And not only that, I look up to see her HUSBAND staring down on me in all my, um, glory!?! I scream, she blushes and laughs and slams the door shut.
I finish my. . . my um, "business", walk out and say to her, "wow, you really gotta watch that lock! It needs to be turned hard in order to lock!" we both laugh and I try to hide down an isle while I wait for Mike to get finished.
In the meantime, the guy is waiting to get into the men's room which was occupied by Mike. When he and Mike meet glances, he gives Mike an embarrassed smile. I guess he must have figured we were together.
So now we head for DEVILS TOWER a remarkable land/rock/geologic creation standing there like the most massive tree stump you have EVER laid eyes on before. Like a volcano, a gargantuan ant hill, just an awe inspiring piece of earth! Devils Tower is the first United States National Monument and one in which is considered sacred by Native Americans. They come there to have traditional ceremonial activities, Personal Rituals that include, sweatlodge ceremonies, vision quests, funerals and prayer offerings (bundles and cloths) which we found there on our visit. I'm sure many of you have already seen Devils Tower if you've seen the movie, "Close Encounters of The Third Kind".
We spotted a large prairie dog "city" and stopped to "cone head" it up a little by watching and photographing them for awhile. They really are cute little buggers!
We decided to get out and hike the trail to get a better look at this incredible mammoth. We hiked up quite a way to see that its made up of huge boulders towards the top and just sheer columned rock running down the sides.
Just outside of MOORCROFT Mike gets nailed doing 54 mph in a 30 mph area! $175 later and we were on our way, but not without first getting a "What To Do When In Wyoming" lesson from the police officer. We also found out he moved to Wyoming from Florida and it was the best thing he ever did! He suggest too, that we hit the gun museum in Cody WY if we get the chance. You gotta love Wyoming cops! I about asked him if we could take a picture with him!
Our friend Sheryl, who was one of 14 people we were spending time with got a little snarky and said, "you didn't know there was an entrance fee did you?" *funny* I just hope there isn't one in Colorado too!
Wyoming is a beautiful state and I guess I never realized before how different it looks on the east side of the state vs; the west. Sometimes it felt like we were driving through an old western movie.
BIG HORN NATIONAL FOREST and TENSLEEP CANYON was fantastically BEAUTIFUL! We learned that the town of Tensleep got its name because the Indian tribes knew that it took ten sleeps to get from one of the towns nearby to that town of Tensleep. How very cool!
The canyon was also filled with burned trees as if a fire had occurred a short time prior to us seeing these trees. As a matter if fact there were several
Forested areas with burned trees. We found out the next day that there were some fires that had started in that area we just came through but they were small and didn't burn too much area. I sort of figured something was burning by the smell in the air the next morning.
FAMILY FRIENDS
We arrived on Friday, stopping first at "Mom" Ridenour's to touch base. It is so wonderful seeing her, I've always had a deep respect and love for her and Ted, (the father of my best friend from 6th grade).
Ted and Janet (Mom Ridenour) have four children (oldest to youngest) Tom, Steve, Theresa, and Sheryl.
Theresa, Steve and I were in 6th grade together, Tom, he was the "older" guy in Junior High. (I'm smiling here with all my memories floating in.) Sheryl, the little sister. There were a couple of other friends that were around a lot too and we were all taken in as family with arms wide open.
The HOT SPRINGS were very interesting and although we didn't get the chance to use them (I know, I know!) we did walk through them. The minerals that hardened from the water run off were shades of white, brown, green and gold with rounded edges. And the stink that floated up from it in one particular area almost made you wonder why you would subject yourself to that. Yes, very interesting how our earth works and the things it does all on its own.
We made a day of it and continued on from there heading up in the hills above the Hot Springs Park. It was a beautiful drive and we could see all of Thermopolis from it, we were even fortunate enough to happen across a small herd of buffalo. It was fascinating to watch them in their natural habitat, how the one big bull brought them in to the watering hole and he brought up the rear as they left.
WIND RIVER CANYON was beautiful! We headed there to a camp ground just outside of an Indian Reservation in the canyon. Most of the family was camping there and baby sister Sheryl was there waiting for the rest of the family with her husband. I've never met him and I haven't seen her in over
30 years so you can imagine how excited I was to see her! Upon my arrival she had the neatest gift for Mike and I. . . A "Welcome To Wyoming" gift bag complete with a map, magnet, postcards, stickers, spices and even a Wyoming t-shirt!!! FUN!
The next morning Mike and I headed back to the canyon camp grounds for Teds pancake breakfast and Mom Ridenour's homemade syrup. . . YUMMO! It was the perfect ending to a perfect couple of days and the perfect beginning to a day full of driving.
SAYING GOODBYES
This was by far one of the saddest moments for me. YES we can do it again, YES, there are phones, emails and Facebook, but one NEVER really knows where their road will actually lead. So that getting together again might never happen, and with that reality, I get sad. And I get sad and teary eyed because you wish that moment in time could last longer.
I really love that family, ALL of them! I feel a tighter bond with them this time around and I'll treasure that feeling always!




















No comments:
Post a Comment